Kim Wells – Aggressive Injury and Insurance Trial Attorney with over 33 years of Experience
For over three decades, Mr. Wells has practiced in the areas of injury and insurance law throughout the state of Florida. His unique perspective on personal injury cases is a result of having represented insurers and their insureds, before he started handling claims for injured parties. His work originally consisted of insurance defense of bodily injury claims and first party insurance issues, as well as bad faith matters on behalf of insurance companies. Over the years, Mr. Wells’ practice focus became limited to representation of personal injury victims and representation of consumers against their insurance companies in what are known as first party insurance matters. These would include claims under homeowner’s policies for fire, storm, water and sinkhole damage to residences; life and disability insurance claims; and bad faith matters when an insurer fails to honor its obligations under a policy. He also handles claims against insurance agents who do not provide the type of coverage requested or needed by his clients.
In his 33+ year legal career, Mr. Wells has worked for several firms as an associate, senior associate or partner. He was a partner at Pilka and Wells, P.A. which preceded his founding of the Wells Law Group, P.A. He was previously the managing partner of several other firms, such as the Law Offices of Kim Wells; Wells, Wiggins and Perusek; and Kim E. Wells, P.A. He worked with the Merlin Law Group and the firm of Butler Pappas as a Senior Associate and others as an Associate attorney early on in his career. In December of 2019 he and the Wells Law Group, P.A. became partners in the Valrico Law Group, P.L.L.C.
Mr. Wells handles all types of personal injury cases including, but not limited to, injuries caused by automobile accidents, trucking accidents, traffic accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip or trip and falls, boating accidents, defective products, dog bites and more. He has litigated cases throughout the state of Florida and tried cases as far north as Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Panama City, and southward to Tampa, Bradenton and Sarasota, and as far south as West Palm Beach. He now limits both his injury and insurance cases to those in the Tampa Bay and surrounding west central Florida area.
He is a member of the Florida Bar and admitted to the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, as well as the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Wells’ current professional memberships include the American Bar Association, Florida Justice Association, American Association for Justice, Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, Windstorm Insurance Network (former chairman-Windstorm Insurance Network’s legal committee), Hillsborough County Bar Association, and the East Hillsborough Bar Association. He was formerly a member of the Florida Advisory Committee on Arson Prevention, the International Association of Arson Investigators, Defense Research Institute, as well as the Manatee, Leon, and Sarasota County Bar Associations.
His publications include “Raising the Coverage Defense in the Bad Faith Case” found at Mealy’s Litigation Report, Insurance Bad Faith, Volume 14, no. 12, p.24. Mr. Wells has also prepared and presented seminar materials in the area of insurance bad faith claims handling for both attorneys and insurance claims personnel and public seminars as well as in house seminars for insurers.
Outside of his legal work, Mr. Wells has been active in the communities he lived in, including participation in the Brandon Chamber of Commerce, being a class member of Leadership Brandon in 2009. He was also the legal advisor for the Florida State Elks Association, Inc., as well as Florida Elks Properties, Inc., and an exulted ruler of an Elks Lodge in Bradenton, Florida. Mr. Wells is proud of his status as an honorably discharged United States Navy veteran.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Auto Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injury Claims
- Insurance Coverage Claims
- First Party Property Matters (fire, sinkhole, hurricane, windstorm, and water damage claims)
- Other Insurance Claims (life, disability and other direct actions against insurers)
- Bad Faith Claims (claims against an insurer for improper claim handling)
- Insurance Agent Negligence
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Raising the Coverage Defense in the Bad Faith Case, Mealy’s Litigation Report Insurance Bad Faith, Vol. 14, #12 p.24, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Florida Justice Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Windstorm Insurance Network, Member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member
- Brandon Chamber of Commerce, Elite Member
- Leadership Brandon, Class Member
- Florida Bar, Member
- Windstorm Insurance Network’s Legal Committee, Former Chairman
- Florida Advisory Committee on Arson Prevention, Former Member
- International Association of Arson Investigators, Defense Research Institute, Former Member
- Manatee, Leon and Sarasota County Bar Associations, Former Member
- Florida State Elks Association, Inc., Former Legal Advisor
- Florida Elks Properties, Inc., Former Legal Advisor
- East Hillsborough Bar Association, Member
- Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions
- Haas, Boehm, Brown, Rigdon, Seacrest and Fisher, P.A., Associate, 1986 – 1988
- Sawyer & Pilka, P.A., Associate, 1988 – 1989
- Trawick, Hammersley & Valentine, Attorney, 1989 – 1991
- Kim E. Wells, P.A. (Wells, Wiggins & Perusek, P.A.), Managing Partner, 1991 – 1997
- Law Offices of Kim Wells, Managing Partner, 1997 – 1999
- Butler Pappas, Senior Associate, 1999 – 2006
- Merlin Law Group, P.A., Senior Associate, 2006 – 2007
- Pilka & Wells, P.A., Partner, 2007 – 2009
- Wells Law Group, P.A., Managing Partner, 2009 – Present